05-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Fyi I'd recommend considering the standard aluminum trim though. It's far nicer in person than the pics would suggest, highly intricate and very upscale looking. Piano Black might be a bit too much black given that you'll have a full black interior, though I guess the silver strip wrapping around the trim would at least help that somewhat if you kept Piano Black. Piano Black is also a dust and fingerprint magnet.
Closeups of the aluminum trim show a really nice trim. My concern is that because of the pattern on the aluminum, a scratch on it will easily be evident as it deviates from the pattern. At least if it were smooth, one can just easily apply some polishing to remove it or make it less obvious. With a smooth piano finish, I have dealt with this type of surface with appliances, (Sony's PSP, PS3) including a grand piano -- scratches can easily be covered and hidden from being obvious. Regarding fingerprint/dust, the solution to that is laying a thin layer of antistatic film delivered via a solution or spray -- it really works. At home for smooth and shiny applliance surfaces as well as flat screens (TV, Monitors) which attract dust due to their inherent electorstatic charges, I use "EndDust" -- which I think can be use for the black piano trim.
Appreciate 0