Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
The process is as follows:
1) You ask dealer to order this.
2) Dealer asks his regional BMW rep
3) Regional rep makes request to BMW M Individual gmbh
4) BMW M Individual provides a quote
5) Dealer asks you to agree to quote - usually in writing but depends on dealer
6) Dealer submits confirmation if you agree
7) BMW puts the request into Indvidual
8) A scheduler at BMW Individual picks up the request and checks for available slots. If slot is later than 3 weeks before your ED date, then they may tell you it will require a delay and ask for your confirmation. You can choose at this point.
9) It is locked down in schedule, and at this point is very hard to change
So the process is slow. In my case it took them a month to process the request after I agreed to the quote. This then triggered a delay because there was only 6 weeks left. If they had processed it faster there would not have been a delay.
My takeaway is put the request in asap. If there is a delay they will offer you the opportunity to back out and keep the original date.
So my guy got back to me, according to him, he only sees 4M5 as an option on the X5/X6. This is a smaller dealership, so Im not sure how familiar they are with Individual orders. For an Individual car, Im assuming you can add any option available on your car, even though not listed as optional per BMW approval?