12-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Welcome.
I personally think that an oil/filter change at 500 miles when you'll be getting one at 1200 miles is overkill; YMMV. Also, at the 1200 mile service I think you'd be better off letting the dealership place the OEM M5 oil in the car; in fact they may refuse to use your Mobil 1. Regardless you could then do your own oil/filter change at 5K miles.
Take care,
Bish
I've been doing this for 30+ years, and rebuilt a number of engines myself. Regardless of the sterility of BMW's engine build environs and process, there will be machining filament in the system. I want it out ASAP. As for the Mobil 1 0-40 synthetic, the dealer has no problem with it/it is acceptable. They have already agreed to use it when they do the scheduled changes; I just need to bring it to them. In short, what I am doing probably is overkill, but I am exponentially more anal-retentive than even the most partciular Americans. Just having to take the car to the dealer ticks me to no end. No tech can possibly excercise the care that I do with my own vehicle. I am simply relenting for warranty purposes.
Appreciate 0