04-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #76
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
Funny how you got attacked. Fact of the matter is that you are CORRECT. It is wildly out of control when you try to put the power down. All of these "super drivers" claiming to have such skill to control the car and advising that you attend driving school, etc. are experiencing EXACTLY what you are. I have had an F10 M5 and currently am F12 M6 cab and pretty much every time I drive the M6 I get the same feeling. People "adapt" to what they drive and learn to overlook the flaws. Many will argue until they are blue in the face to defend the car, right or wrong. Remember the MotorTrend track comparison against the AMG, 911, etc, where Randy Probst said "The only car I didn't want to take around the track again was the M6"? Yeah, I found myself defending the car. Now I get it. Fact is, it is an issue. The new M cars are wonderful cars and have ridiculously good characteristics but this is truly a flaw. BMW has not figured out how to make the power usable at low end. Driving the M car side by side with a powerful AWD car makes it off the charts noticeable. I get put of my Porsche TTS (I know this comparison will irritate some but nonetheless it is very much a reality) that literally jumps off the line and sticks in turns harder as you mash the throttle and then into the M6 and I find it to be almost as if it is completely out of control. Constant modulation of the throttle is necessary to avoid wheel spin from a stop unless you very gradually apply throttle off the line and in curves-forget it. Then there's Launch "Control". No "Control" about it. BMW has not gotten the power to ground formula figured out in this car. Great car but with this much power AWD is needed. Would vastly improve the drivability. BMW has the problem of added weight however. I suspect this is the actual reason for not going to AWD rather than BMWs claim that they want the car to remain a "true RWD driving car." It's not a track car. Far too heavy. Need to take advantage of its strength-POWER! AWD would do that instantly and guaranteed everyone opposing your view would trade their RWD the day it was available.
Chris Harris seemed to be of the exact opposite opinion of Pobst in his review of the M6 vs AMG vs XF-R S. The M6 was the fun car on the track...

I think this just shows how different the current gen M5/6 is perceived. Some reviews put it last because of lack of AWD, other praise it's RWD agility and fun factor. Which is why I also said previously that the difference this gen M5 has over previous generations are it's torque. And why there are arguments for both RWD and AWD.

I have driven the M6 in the wet, and it's just hilarious how little traction you really have... But still a lot of fun, just not efficient if you are comparing it with an RS7. On the Autobahn, the Manhart M5 with well over 700hp was no problem at all. This is an environment where the M5 really shines! Fast, effortless and totally at home driving at 200-280km/h all day Also a blast on mountain passes with fluid turns and twists.

However an RS6/7 would outaccelerate it in many daily scenarioes. However I think that what makes the M5 fun to some is exactly what is frustrating for others. And both views have their own merit.
Appreciate 0