View Single Post
      05-26-2016, 08:55 PM   #96
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Next car for me? Not sure yet.

The only BMW I am interested in buying isn't even out yet and that is the next generation M6 Coupe'. We'll see how much weight the next generation of M's is going to drop, but I honestly am not interested in buying another turbo car even if it is lighter. The thing that sells me on the next M6 though is the promise of a car with more luxury, comfort, utility and technology than a 911 but built to compete against the 911. These are still the rumours for the next M6, a 911-Fighter just like the Merc AMG-GTS.

I have my eye on the 2017 Audi R8 as my next true car though. I am thinking about trying to do a Euro Delivery with one next summer, but I have to wait and see. More than anything, I have 4 requirements for my next car and the 2017 Audi R8 fulfills 3 of them. In my next car I want a V10 engine in it, a Manual Transmission, designed and manufactured in Germany, and a new car with the latest in tech. As you know the 2017 R8 dropped the Manual Transmission from the previous generation so 3 out of 4 ain't bad. Sure a Dodge Viper ACR also has a V10, has a manual tranny, and is new, but it is not German and it certainly is not comfortable with cool tech in it. If I do get the R8 though, it'll be parked next my 2013 M5.

I have little interest in the next M5 though. Mainly because of its engine. It is going to be lighter, but that is about the biggest advantage it will probably have over the F10 M5 and therefore not enough for me to want one. Then there is the size, the G30 is going to be even bigger than the F10 and I don't want or need a bigger car. The Bowers & Wilkins I'm sure will be fantastic, but I really enjoy the B&O a lot and for me it is enough. I also care little for the floating iDrive screen design sitting on top of the dash and all the new 7-Series stuff that the M5 will get like touch iDrive screen, motion activated iDrive menu's, or even autonomous driving technology. AWD doesn't seem to be set in stone with the next M5 either, so there's that too. Unless they stuff a brand new V10 or V12 engine in the next M5, I am not getting one. The F10 M5 is a heavy car but it is capable. Besides, I learned my lesson and wouldn't get another Pre-LCI M car ever again (damn side-bolsters!).

Other than that I'd love to turn an older 2008 E63 M6 into a semi-track car that is still street drive-able.

My 2 cents.

We are about 1 year out from the next M5.

Appreciate 1