View Single Post
      02-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

No more M4- Picked up my 10th AMG: C63S Coupe

Yes indeed my 10th one and it all started a long time ago with a sweet 2001 E55. Along the way I've had some tremendous rides and have held on to my two faves: 16 AMG GTS and the C63 BS. I recently had an F82 M4 and wanted a change to a more raw loud beast with a better interior and I got exactly that with the C63S Coupe. A few mods later and its pretty much set. I did one test drive and then had my dealer locate what I wanted, for the most part and took the car.

Some initial thoughts: The MCT on this car (I've had 5 others) is the best one thus far. Ill assume it has a lot to do with the drive modes and the ECU/TCU because I always felt the MCT was a bit sluggish. This car is not the case and the transmission performs very well. There are times where I can't even discern the difference between it and the DCT in the GTS. Sport Plus really understands where the car should be (in D mode during traffic) and its always got the power ready and available. Finally proper transmission electronics are mated up with the MCT. Now I have tuned the car and it really moves- the M177 engine is no slouch already and it feels almost as fast as my tuned M178 GTS. The throttle and the tq on tap in the USABLE ranges of the rpms is awesome and I never feel like I'm in the wrong gear (in D mode). It just flat out flies and I do think the tune helps the MCT in response.

For the first few hundred miles my car was on stock suspension and the car did feel very stiff; even moreso than my GTS which has the magnetorheological dampeners. It was, at times, a bit of a kidney punch and bouncy. I opted to keep the OEM dampeners and use the KW HAS system. I have used this system many times in the past and have zero regrets. I think on this car its probably the best yet. I have a more extreme drop (1 1/2 inches still remain in the front shockingly and the back is maxed out) and the car is more compliant and comfortable than it was stock. It really feels that much better and more planted vs the compression and rebound (excessive) that was coming with the stock springs. I run the car in the sport suspension set up (1 light on) and its optimal for my needs. I am very pleased because AMG suspensions have not always left me wanting more (sans the GTS and BS).

The interior is great, like my GTS and very comfortable. The car my dealer sourced had to have the P3 package, Performance Exhaust, Night Styling, and the AMG carbon fiber adds. At first I thought I might regret not getting the Performance seats but I'm very happy with the comfort of the Sport seats. They do lack a little bit of lateral support which I'm used to in my other rides but its a GT car in reality for cruising and crushing. Oh the car had a 91k msrp.

Is the car faster than my departed M4? Yes it was stock vs stock and yes tuned vs tuned. It probably was just a slight bit slower than my tuned M4 before I tuned it. I really enjoy the steering feel in the C63S over the M4. The M had a bit of moderate oversteer and this car has minimal at best. Again it compares well with the steering in the GTS. I am happy with my choice for a daily abuser/commuter and it will match up well with my M5 for basic day to day driving.

Initial basic mods:

KW HAS Sleeves
OE Tuning M177 ECU Tune
18mm spacers front and rear
30% Ceramic Tint
Xpel Clear Bra

Many thanks to Benzworks in Huntington Beach, CA. They are a sponsor here and quickly sourced my springs and installed the tune too. They have been my Benz go to since 2007 and much more (other makes that Ive had or have). The ECU I heard was a PITA to pull but they have done many and had no issues. Supremepower in Placentia, CA sourced the spacers and Eric the owner is a top tier guy allowing me to try on different ones until I picked what I wanted. If you are local or even out of state I recommend using him and Benzworks for your part sourcing. OE Tuning has been tuning all my Benzes, some Porsches, Bentley, Ferrari, M cars, and a few others since 2004. I trust Jeremy (owner) with his product and service. Ive probably done over 30 tunes (including upgrades on the same cars) and remain loyal to him especially when it comes to Benz. The gains in tq and hp thru the sweet spot ranges are so good; the car is transformed and dare I say that with 503 SAE HP in stock set up.

Cell phone pics:

And my departed M4 (not too shaby)

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 4
mister2d155.50
clar144.00
PhatLyfe985.00
Ickdeep5727.00