View Single Post
      12-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #1
olis1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Comp Package

F90 vs F10 M5, my thoughts

I traded in my 2014 M5 Comp with dinan tune for a 2018 M5 a couple weeks ago. I was very on the fence about pursuing the next M5 so I actually test drove a 2018 M3 CS and M5 back to back.

My thoughts first on my 2014 M5: love the car, pulls like crazy, no traction until 3rd, not as settled in the corners as I'd like. Great looks. This car always felt too fast for the road, too high geared, not engaging enough. Its an amazing car cruising at 80-120 on a winding open highway but never that much fun around town. As the tires would wear out it would get a little scary losing traction in long sweepers in 3rd gear. Too have fun in this car you really need to redline 3rd gear, the only gear that gets traction and that takes you to 107 mph which is crazy fast.

The thing with the 2018 M5 is its like they listened to all my complaints and changed things where they needed to. With the awd they were able to add a gear (8) and gear everything down. 5th gear in this car is like 3rd in the F10. I don't miss the DCT at all, this tranny works great. The surprising thing is the suspension is very tight and the steering in sport plus feels like less angle is required to turn which makes the car feel more agile. I feel way more stable in a turn. I really feel like they've made this car feel smaller. Needless to say, the awd and the closer gears makes the car way more engaging around town, more gear changes etc. The traction off the line of course is amazing. The sound is louder but now you can turn off the open exhaust with a press of a button, the F10 I had the valves wired open for sound. The new M5 is just louder and pops and burbles. The interior is a big improvement as well and the seats are amazing.

I feel like this car is more useable and I will have more fun at lower speeds. Like 0-100 where as the F10 was really useable more in the 60-120 realm. The newer M5 still can feel very relaxed on the highway the the overall feel of the car in comfort modes just feels more mature. The car feels lighter and stiffer in the right places.

I added a racechip piggy back and its even more amazing. The pull thru gears feels magic. Supposedly the car has 750hp at the engine with this $600 piggy back. I don't doubt it the way it feels but I haven't dyno'd the car.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know my thoughts if anyone is on the fence.

Last edited by olis1; 12-16-2021 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 4