12-03-2022, 03:49 PM   #49
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Well I can understand your concern. The CTEK I use pushes max current at Bulk charging. In my case that takes just a few minutes before it moves to Absorption stage — where "the current is gradually reduced" (quoting technical doc.) This is where my charge spends the most time (few hours) before it gets fully charged.

This is probably how it works with dealer charger. You can perhaps contact CTEK for more tech details. The 25A rating just means it's the max it *can* push doesn't necessarily mean it's pushing at a constant 25A. Based on everything I've read it adjusts itself to what it believes the battery/system needs. You can of course contact CTEK. Hope this helps.
Deutronic chargers that BMW is using in the shops are professional grade units that can not be compared to what we use. Have a look at their settings. Don’t forget,those are shops chargers and are made tohelp the tech while working inclusding providing current for analyzing, repairs and other things without affecting your battery. Their inner software is not in your “regular Joe” unit.
Not lastly, that is a shop where they care about speed and time spent not your ideal charging pattern.

I guess that the fact that your battery gets charged in one hour instead of 4-5 (that a proper calculated charger) will provide the answer for you. Don’t forget that all these 4-5-6 Ah chargers are made like that for a scope.

By the rules, battery charging current should be 10% of the Ah rating of the battery.
Charging current for 100Ah Battery = 100 Ah x (10 ÷ 100) = 10Ah
That is the ideal Ah for charging such battery.

Why do you think BMW sells CTEK rebadged chargers that do not pass the limit?
Appreciate 0