Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
If it's white smoke then means coolant could be entering the combustion chambers and a head gasket may be slightly leaking, it's faint coming out the right side bank pipes and doesn't appear to be that bad. If the smoke gets worse then may mean a head gasket replacement on that side.
Most of this is true as to what it could be, however, f10 and newer 4.4L V8 M5, M6,M8 X5, X6, including F90 M5 + use cross bank turbo manifolds. So 2 cylinders from each (L & R) cylinder bank feed each turbo. So no real way of knowing which side a head gasket could be needed on based solely on exhaust smoke or lack there of....unless OP modified his exhaust and turbo manifolds to manifolds like the 550i... I would doubt that, but anything is possible I suppose. Not even sure you can modify the manifolds in that manner, or if modifications exist for this. That would also make it sound more like a traditional V8, like the 550i, or AMG cars etc.

OP mentioned smoke on both sides anyway so its either mixing inside the exhaust, or just no real way to know which side with out further diagnosis.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61852.50