View Single Post
      12-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #101
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
As a previous '05 STi' owner, I just cannot get into the new body. In my quest for a new car, I've driven new Evo MR's, STi's (like 4 different times) etc. and I just cannot get there at all with the hatch.

That STi pictured had a complete rework done to it to look acceptable. Probably $5-$7K minmum went into making it look likethat. JUST to look acceptable. No thanks.

That said, Subaru is releasing the STi in a new sedan body in 2011 which will hopefully look a lot better. It's going to piss off a lot of people that settled for the hatch. I just hope it's not that cool because I'm picking up my '10 135i in 4 days...

Anybody that has owned an STi here will agree there is a LOT lacking on them. The interior is pretty bad, particularly the seats. They are the widest, most unsupportive seats offered in a $30K+ "sports" car. The suspension come SO soft from the factory. The steering ratio is WAY to high for the car. The steering feedback is extremely vague.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my STi, and it was a beast with tons of mods on it (susp./engine), but until Subaru decides to make it a more serious car (like the Evo) I will be passing. The thing is dumbed down so far for both genders of all ages.

One test drive in a new 135i showed me a completely different type of car than I'm used to and I'm glad to make the change.

If taking a car to the absolute limit in the 1/4mi, track etc, is you goal, then maybe an STi would suit better than a 135i, because of all of the available mods/tuners. I just want a 12 second car that feels amazing to drive, yet is still a bit classier with a nice interior and daily driver suspension. I think a 135i with a Hotchkis front sway and a JB3 will give me that. We'll see.
I still have my '05 STi along with my '08 135i. The 135i is amazing in stock form. It's got plenty of torque to make it enjoyable in daily driving and a perfect balance between comfort and performance with the suspension.

But when I drive my STi, it's still a much more fun car to drive when you want to have fun. But overall the 135i kills it for daily driving...so much more comfortable and luxurious, but still very fast and sporty.
Appreciate 0