View Single Post
      05-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

larger brakes help improve cooling and thus ability to maintain braking performance over longer periods of time under stress. Without using a more abrasive track type pad compound a trick that a "bbk" manufacturer usually tries is to have overall larger diameter pistons than oem calipers making the brake pedal travel shorter for a given ammount of braking force and hence making them feel like they have more "bite". I find oem brake feel on all bmw M cars to be just right. more sensitive brake pedal response just leads to coarse inputs and ultimately worse performance. Brembo's piston diameters seem to be designed so they match oem brake pedal feel.

If you want more bite, switch to the oem BMW Performance brake pads for the M5. These are equipped on the M5 ring taxi's and there is nothing lacking in the braking department. They will improve brake performance but at the cost of wearing the rotors down faster.

I think the oem brakes on the M5 with the correct pad material are finally adequate for an M car used for repeated laps on a track. I still think the rear brakes look too ugly though. I for one would like to order a set of brembo 4 piston calipers for the rear to match the fronts.