08-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
You need traction control entirely off to use launch control
I thought it was with MDM set to the "first" off and not completely off or am misinterpreting how it works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico12 View Post
Where did you do this? Can you give some detail as to location, cost?

I would imagine that LC would have made a slight but significant difference. Getting engine speed and boost up before take-off would only have a positive effect on your results due to less lag. Hopefully we'll see some of your LC #'s soon.

BTW, with all the great engineers at BMW, why not a simple LC such as Pcar? Really?
I agree with the impact of LC. The fact I was bogging shows that the I could have benefitted from a higher RPM launch with the sticky track surface.

I ran at 75-80 Dragway in Monrovia MD.... just over the Frederick County border from Montgomery County...about 15 minutes from Germantown. On Friday nights it costs $30 to do test and tunes but you might only get 3 runs if you get there by 6:30 and run through 9:00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
i undersrtand what you mean by feeling rushed. but if you just forget about the other car (afterall youre racing against the clock). you might find you can actually arm the lc and launch in the time it takes the tree to count down...

i use it almost all the time now. and i can even get off the line before the other car sometimes ... of course you need one of your m modes set up for s3, traction control off, etc...
I think my biggest apprehension was that I have never actually tried LC before on the M5 and doing it at the track the first time made me even more nervous. Now that I have a feel for the M5 at the track I am going to practice LC....and try my little tricks of the trade when I do my next drag strip runs (lower tire pressure....hit the track with less gas and maybe ice the intakes).
Appreciate 0