04-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #69
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yeah, I was thinking 1st quarter this year. But, some things have transpired since the article you cite was written, and it doesn't look like its BMW who they have to worry about the most:

http://wot.motortrend.com/lexus-fall...011-64755.html

We'll see.

I think the release of the new X3, 5 and 6 will help BMW make up ground over the next several months.
Quote:
It's a matter of spreading resources even thinner and as a result perhaps diluting the products more. Granted, lots of AWD performance cars exists, sure. And some performance cars come with either AWD or RWD. Great. But, imagine what sort of outrage would transpire if Subaru started developing a RWD STi or Nissan built a RWD GTR. Oh but who cares... right? What about an AWD Mustang? Corvette? No problem?
I still don't see the issue with expanding the line-up. Perhaps, we're looking at it from different perspectives. If they are talking about only an AWD vehicle in the future, I can understand and appreciate your ire.

Quote:
I guess maybe it just feels like when you have the formula down already, sometimes its best to work on refining other things - like perhaps cutting weight or improving efficiency. BMW seems to reinventing itself and throwing out the baby with the bath water in the process.
Keep in mind that much of the increased weight in current vehicles is a result of government regulations that are being mandated for safety.

The improved efficiency is coming....but it is also what is causing it's own criticism. The F32 M3 is rumored to be going TT, which imo, is not necessarily the M divisions first choice but more a concession to meet upcoming CAFE standards.

Quote:
Ultimately this all sounds hokey to me. I believe M will continue to make both RWD vehicles and AWD vehicles just as they do today. But I don't see them any more willing to spend a pile of cash on an AWD M3 than I see them willing to spend big bucks on a RWD X6 M. See? And as I said in the parallel thread on M3Post, how do you justify canning the M3 sedan, and then building a M3 xi coupe? Really? You are telling me more people want an AWD M3 coupe than a RWD M3 sedan? No F-ing way man. I don't belive that for a second. Look at 335xi coupe sales and 335i sedan sales - no brainer folks.
I fully agree that dumping the M3 sedan seems to be a puzzling decision.
Appreciate 0