View Single Post
      03-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #62
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Coldlist - I hate to correct you old chap, but I think your assertion that M5s did stand out traditionally is way off target. The M3s did with their power bulges, but M5s have always looked relatively ordinary.

Here are some pictures I took at the F10 M5 launch event which I attended in Spain.

E28 M5 - The first gen pretty much had a standard 5 series body. Hood is ordinary, bumper is ordinary, fenders are ordinary. Again more like a standard 5 than the F10 version.

E34 M5 - The second gen M5 had some fancy door mirrors, small rear spoiler, front lip, white turn signals and the signature M-Double spokes, but other than that was also pretty plain. Less differentiation from standard 5 than the current model has.

E39 M5 - The third gen M5 added a nice M aero bumper - more than just the lip on previous models. However hood and fenders look pretty standard. Mirrors are more ordinary than the ones on the E34 M5. No side vents. Generally a pretty regular looking 5. The m Double spokes are very similar to those on the E39 540i. Also in this gen, BMW started providing clear turn signals to M-Sport models which killed the exclusivity of the m turn signals on the E34.

E60 M5 - The first one which looks meaningfully different than a non-M 5. However it is in contrast to the ordinary look of the previous M5s. And the things which differentiate the E60 m5, are also present on the F10 M5 - fender vents, wider fenders, mirrors, wheels.
Well I stand corrected bro! Who can argue with data like that.

Then I assert that BMW should start a NEW tradition and flash 'em up a bit! I'm gonna keep the movement going by modding mine more and more!
Appreciate 0