12-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #76
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwSC8 View Post
On paper, the 1M shouldn't have any soul either, would you agree? If we look at the numbers, it has way less hp but more tq than an M3. But when you look at the parts the car has, recycled M3 suspension, an N54 engine and almost no develop time, almost everyone (I'm sure you included) said the car has no character and shouldn't even be considered an M car.

Yet here it is, praised by car journalists everywhere, taking on a Porsche Cayman S (that's about as soulful of a car you can get, in your definition) and beating them in comparos.

Again, if we want to keep using this stupid word soul without ever seeing the car, the 1M is the proof that you can't judge the book by its covers.
Great point and argument. But I lived with the N54 motor for years, and while it is a great motor, especially when tuned, it doesn't have the pure excitement I got from the S85 & S65.

That being said, despite the engine choice, the 1///M is probably closer to the heritage of ///M as any current ///M offering as its fast, nimble and fun, though this is all just based on reviews and owners that I have met, I have not had the honor / privilege of driving one yet.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0