Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilfz View Post
Had my dealer follow-up with BMW this is what they told me this morning:

"This is what BMW N.A told us.
STILL ON CARB/EPA HOLD

NO GUARANTEE DATE

WE HOPE FOR LATE THIS WEEK."
I spoke to my CA this morning as well, and learned two things about the delivery delay:

1. Same as above, CARB/EPA Cert not done yet. The EPA will move when they are good and ready, not much BMW can do to to push them. My CA guessed, but has no evidence, that one possible reason for the delay is the EPA is focusing on higher volume makes/models first as they impact a larger number of customers and the M5 is at the back of the line because it's a low volume "specialty" car.

2. The debate about whether BMW will hold the cars for a coordinated release has some truth to it. My CA does not believe BMW is holding cars specifically for a 9/1 release, but he said BMW will absolutely hold cars until they have the first car at the VPC and ready to go for most of the dealers across the country. In the past, certain dealers complained when other dealers got deliveries of new models a week or two before they did, and therefore had a week or two lead time to woo buyers with a test drive and book orders. This is not an issue on normal production cars because the coordinated roll-out is managed with the initial floor models built for dealer stock, but is an issue with "high priced, specialty" cars like the M5 when BMW makes the decision not to invest in building a stock floor model for each dealer.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0