View Single Post
      09-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
It's not an electric pump, it's an electric motor. Any input from the steering wheel is routed through a control/computer unit before the motor can react and move the rack accordingly. No matter how short, a slight delay must be incurred, resulting in the widely reported numbness.
With a hydraulic system, the operating force is permanently on-tap and is controlled by a simple pilot valve on the servo, directing pressure to either side of the ram immediately as required.
Granted, it saps more horsepower as the pump is always turning and the system is also heavier, but it results in sharper steering and provides greater feedback.
Right you are. I was assuming 'electric power steering' meant the same thing that it does on our race cars. What a ridiculous system. I don't understand why BMW can't quit messing around with 'automating' the steering. The 'active' steering system on the E60 5-series was an absolute disaster. My 545i was pretty much undrivable on the track. I'm glad the M people have retained their senses.
Appreciate 0