stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportDC View Post
So this morning, I got the minimum oil level indication again and conveniently, my normal BMW dealership was near me. I stopped in to get a quart of oil for my "2013 M5" and the guy handed me 10w-60. (no surprise) I told him that my engine doesn't specify 10w-60 and that I need either 5w-30 or 5w-40 and the guy responds, "you put 5w-40 in your M5" with a skeptical look on his face.

Long story short, I get the 5w-40 and put it in and now I'm beginning to suspect that they may have used 10w-60 for the break-in service. I called and left a message with my service advisor to determine exactly what they had used per their records.

Why my suspicions?

I'm currently at 8700 miles on the odometer and I've topped off my oil about 6 times already because of minimum oil-level indications on the computer.
I'm getting an average of 19.5 mpg even though I drive 90% on highway to work every day.

Anybody have input on this? If it is the case that they had used the wrong oil, I will be extremely pissed. Until then, I shall remain calm or else all hell will break loose.
Do you have paperwork? My service paperwork definitely said 5W-30 on it when I completed the break-in service.

BTW One way to check is to have Blackstone Labs analyze the oil. I did this recently, and it confirmed that my post break-in oil is 5W-30. If they put 10W-60 the viscosity would be off. This is a good way to check - take a sample and send it in.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...3#post13893343
Appreciate 0