Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 AW

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainblade
I have had a great experience with 20 inch Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Very good tread life and after 23k miles, it was time to go although they still had a little life( highway miles). Apparently, Michelin PSS are backordered til Mid/late June so I reluctantly made the decision to go with Pirelli P zeros. Im very happy to have new treads and my initial reactions are as follows; the Pirelli feels a lot like the Conti sport contact I had on my 2007 m5-harder sidewall than the Michelin and overall with a hint of more road noise..., a little bit of a harder tire than the Michelin...The Michelins have always felt stickier where most other brands i.e conti, Pirelli feel "harder". Grip is greatly improved and that obviously has a lot to do with me running my Michelins too long. We had a lot of rain in the northeast this weekend and Im very confident the Pirelli P zeros perform better in the rain than the Michelins. Overall, if I had my choice I would go Michelin, but Im pleased with the Pirellis so far.

***keep in mind, a good part of the year, temps are below 55 degrees in the Northeast and the performance of the Michelins is limited as is any summer performance tire. So if you have to go Pirelli, its not a bad alternative because we rarely get to enjoy full potential of a tire in the Northeast. I think if you're in very warm year round climates it may be worth waiting for Michelins. JUST MY OPINION
Did you get 295 or 305 for the rear wheels? Others have said that the 305 P-Zeros grip a lot better.

I'm always surprised how //M engineers ignored the lack of grip and that the car cannot put down even a high fraction of its power without massive wheelspin. It should be easy to replicate in testing.