View Single Post
      08-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #92
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

I just got the DVD here in Shanghai (pirate of course, so you have to wait a few weeks after release) and spent a sunday morning watching the movie, as it if it was a F1 race sunday, when I lived in the states, that normally meant 630 am, I didnt like taping it, its was great drama live, even practice and qualifying. I hunted this movie down in countless DVD stores in the city, and Saturday night after sushi, there was a dvd store next door, so I walked in, and before I finished saying the name Senna, the chinese kid ran to the shelf, he said they sold 11 copies that day, 1 was left, and a guy walked in after me, saw me holding it and said, where is that...I pointed him to the last one. Its the 145 version.

This film was bitter sweet, in a very accurate way, the format was unusual as a documentary, as it never stopped the focus of who this man was, how his life evolved and the people that interacted with i him, in a intimate way thats really a tribute to the film makers, as they only used, original footage, and no after the death interviews for the most part. The music was eery and moving, as was all the images and drama. I could not help but shed some tears,, its just very emotional film unfolding, you know the outcome, but its so serene the way it unfolds.

Its nice to see a story of a man at this level in sport, that succumbed to the dangers drivers face in a high risk battle to win, but too see the real man behind the helmet, was special.

Its a very good film, for anyone, whether they like racing or not, this man was a small part of history for many people, and his death effected all of them to a degree.

I was lucky enough to see Senna win the US Grand Prix in Detroit in 1986. That was a race, he got a flat, and still won. I started to get into F1 in 1984, Nigel was my man then, of course Jackie Stewart had a special place, if you remember ABC Wide World Of Sports, he was a legend, like Ali, and Pele in sports back then.

Today I watched the scene/film makers comments, just an amazing piece of film making, I would love to see the 5 hour version....

Last edited by RaceBlood; 08-22-2011 at 03:13 AM..
Appreciate 0