View Single Post
      05-07-2010, 04:10 AM   #112
syhr
Rep
Drives: toto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
Ok cool!
I am 29 and I have had 3 local businesses open up within a 2 mile radius of my house; Karate, BJJ and TKD / Kung Fu. I am really interested in taking some lessons. I am mostly interested in BJJ as every match I see on UFC it seems as the the BJJ guy has a lil bit of a one up on his opponent. I am not looking to compete at my age, but mainly want to use this as a good past time that will keep me in shape as I have gained a good 10 lbs over the past 2-3 years and need something to get my heart rate going again. I sit in an office for 50+ hrs a week and could use the conditioning. What would you guys say will get me the best conditioning?
Thanks in advance
Conditioning is relative; practice enough BJJ and you will get good BJJ conditioning, practice enough KF and you will get good KF conditioning.

Not sure about your current fitness, but if you're an an exercise nubee then look to your basic fitness first, regardless of what you wanna train in; get in the habit of doing basic regular exercise (home workout, gym, etc). This will build your basic strength and endurance, which apply to any art you want to practice.

After than, visit each of the dojos in the arts that you're interested in. Watch a few classes, talk to the staff and students, try to get a feel for whether it "feels right" for you. This has been discussed endlessly on the internet; a good primer is the MA FAQ (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/martial-arts/faq/part1/) Section 5 "How do I choose a school".

Once you've done all that and chosen a school, any good instructor should be able to provide the best "bang for buck" conditioning exercises which are most relevant to that art.
Appreciate 0