View Single Post
      04-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #36
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'm 100% against it, both in theory because I think it's a stupid idea and in practice because I don't think it sounds very convincing. I could tell immediately that it was an artificial sound and I wasn't even looking at my screen so I didn't see whether the first run was the before or after.

Overall it's a minor detail, I would still buy the new M5 or M6 in a second if I could afford them and I'd get over the active sound pretty quickly, but I wish there was a way to just turn it off.

I can understand what led BMW to include this feature though, the car with active sound turned off is way too quiet inside and the noises you do hear aren't nearly as aggressive and sporty as is expected in an M5. I've had the privilege of driving E34, E39 and E60 M5s and they each had an extraordinary engine sound that this new TTV8 does not, but I don't understand why BMW couldn't have just reduced the amount of noise insulation between the engine and exhaust and the passenger compartment, or just made the exhaust louder...the new twin turbo AMGs sound absolutely incredible and I've never found the new E63 or CLS63 to be too noisy inside.
Appreciate 0