View Single Post
      04-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #39
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

To me, Active Sound is simply the worst idea that BMW has come up with since I've been buying them. I'm not saying it would prevent me from buying the car, which is a great machine. I just don't understand why BMW couldn't do what Porsche does, and put valves in the exhaust and divert the intake sound in through valved tubes going into the A pillars. The sound is incredible this way.

The difference in the video I hear is mainly just the volume of the sound. BUT, this is with an absolutely new car, engine, and stock exhaust. What will be really interesting is the difference as the engine/exhaust gets some miles on it. I know my E60 M5 definitely sounded MUCH different once I built up the miles than it did when new. Maybe some people will see this as an advantage - "the engine note always sounds like new". However, if there's ever a problem, you'll have to hear it over the 'perfect' engine sound.

What will really be amusing is to hear the difference between Active Sound and not with an aftermarket exhaust. You'll hear the stock sound pumped into the cabin through Active Sound over the real aftermarket sound. Just ridiculous.
Appreciate 0