View Single Post
      06-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Obviously you wanted to nitpick my original statement and start an argument. Looks to me like you got nowhere. Tracking your car is considered improper use I am fairly certain. The warranty is voided if you race the car, that much is very clear.

PR is marketing material and nothing more. You can cut and paste all the statements you want about the car. Sure, put it on the track, ruin it. I don't care and neither will the BMW legal department when you try to use your warranty after tracking the car. I don't think relying on PR material is going to win anything against a legal document such as a warranty.

If you are an actual engineer then you should know better than to rely on PR materials for reliability.

Here is my original statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw
Of course this is also why you will wear out your car quickly by tracking it. Same thing happens in the engine. All of the moving components are affected similarly and the energy is mostly dissipated as heat. This is also why you shouldn't really race a stock car. It's not built or designed to handle the kinds of prolonged heat that the constant changing from high to low speed on a track will produce.

I know people do it but I also think they do it with a second car, not their regular car. Right?
I said you would wear out your car quickly by tracking it. Nothing wrong with that.

I said most of the energy is dissipated as heat. Nothing wrong with that.

I said you really shouldn't race a stock car. BMW warranty explicitly agrees with me.

I said it's not built or designed to handle the kinds of prolonged heat that the constant changing from high to low speed on a track will produce.

I believe this to be a true statement because a race is tracking of a prolonged nature and BMW voids the warranty under those conditions. You have chosen to avoid dealing with the heat issue here. That is what I originally pointed out was the risk involved. You have consistently pointed to other design features not related to the heat. Of course elevated temperatures are the thing that cause the most failures in mechanical systems and in electrical systems. So that is why I mention that. If you are an engineer, then you should understand my original statement and give it a pass. Instead, you seem to be a lawyer because your response is one of a lawyer.

I never said you couldn't use the car for tracking. I just parsed what I said and really, it's not incorrect at all.

I like the car in the video but it's not stock, it was modded for tracking. I see nothing wrong with tracking the car if you have the bucks to do it. I also said that I thought most people would do it with a second car and put a question mark after the statement.

I wasn't trying to start a fight or an argument in my original post. Just making some observations that I believe are accurate, factual and correct.
Appreciate 0