01-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #12
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yeah I agree, it will probably be a step forward in design, however based on the 7-Series I remain skeptical. I mean the G11 does look different than the F01, but it's not as drastic a change as between the E38 / E65 or the E65 / F01. I'm sure the next M5 (F90 or G80 or whatever they are calling it) will look good no doubt, but it's the inside of the car that I'm not excited about. I won't ramble on again about how disappointed I am that another version of the S63tu engine will be used again, unless they find a way to make it rev to a reasonable 8,300rpm , but it seems as if there just aren't any significant innovations in regards to BMW ///Motorsport Internal Combustion Engines anymore. Like ///M Division developing a whole new engine just for the M5 and M6, this is what kills it for me.
I have heard some rumours that BMW AG lost faith in the ///M divisions ability to design engines after the problems that the S54 and S65 engines in particular had. The S65 is claimed to have quite a bit of variation in output and very rarely is at the stated hp level... And both engines have a history of bearing/con rod issues.

Not sure if that is the only reason BMW returned to production based ///M engines, but that and cost issues could be the reason.
Appreciate 1