View Single Post
      11-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #55
Project1
Bimmer Love
Rep
Drives: You will figure it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
What is cheap to you? Are you allowing your BMW get in the way of judging if a car is cheap or not? Going from a BMW interior( though not the best in its respective class, but still better then you would get in a Ford, Toyota, etc) with its leather dash, etc and going to the Taurus which will have a lot more plastic will probably give off the cheap feel.

This is an honest question. I keep on seeing people come on here and say the Taurus, Mustangs, etc interior is cheap and crappy. But, from what perspective are you using? Has your BMW's interior influenced or set your standard of what is a good interior or not? There are a lot of kids here on the board that their BMW is their very first car so I am wondering if having a BMW has messed with their perspective.

Comparing the Taurus to your BMW's interior, yeah the Taurus's interior is cheap. But, the Taurus is not aiming to be a luxury car. It is a mainstream full size family sedan. It is not going to have as nice of interior as a Benz, Audi, or BMW.

So I am just wondering, how do you judge if the interior is cheap or not? Do you compare it to the competition or by what you already drive?
No, not JUST the Bimmer. I mean, a good interior to me is however European. The know that the extra little touches, and good looking, feeling, material is costly, however, that the little bit of extra cost is worth it for a car that you truly want to be in. Honestly most people buying the American products aren't buying them because they honestly enjoy being in them, they buy them because it is new, practical for their application, and gets them where they want to go. I however choose a car that makes me want to drive somewhere for no reason, that I enjoy being in, and makes me happy.

Don't however get me wrong, I LOVE American cars...as long as they were made before 1975. Other than the technological miracle that is the ZR-1, the new American cars are trash. ALL cheaply made, and not up to what I think (my opinion) the standard should be. I mean look at the CTS-v. Hell of a car, but really, I had the opportunity to drive it, and the performance was excellent. However, the interior was rattly, and felt cheap. That car is NOT cheap, they spent all the money somewhere, but other than in the engine, I don't know where all that money goes. Certainly not on fit and finish. And back to the ZR-1, GM got this one mostly right, but again, for $100,000 can't I at least get SOME kind of nice feeling fabric. I guess that is the end of the rant. I just think they need to step up the interior, and fit n finish game. It's hard to NOT compare them against my other cars, BMW, Maserati, even old VW. The little touches just aren't there.

BTW, this is all just my opinion, and am NOT here to argue. Just state my opinions.
Appreciate 0