02-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
Michael_s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice7 View Post
Thanks all for the comments all!

If I had to pick between one, in my situation (with no kids), I would go with the M5. Obviously with RWD, DCT, and being lighter than the X5 M the car just feels like an animal compared to the SUV. Although being heavy, the fun factor is still there on the M5 with still managing to comfortably carry 4 passengers and whatever needs to be carried inside the trunk. Plus, with all the cool gadgets included in the M5 (i.e., HUD is soo much better, driver assistance package, new iDrive), the M5 feels like you are getting more bang for your buck. I originally placed an order an e92 m3 but thought about the future since kids are in the horizon within the 2-3 years decided to cancel it. Plus, if I wanted something nimble I could just drive the e46.

I picked up the X5 M since we were in the market at the time for an SUV with the need to carry snowboard gear and bikes, and me being a car enthusiast wanted a SUV that still felt like a car and the X5 M brings that. The SUV is no slouch and with the AWD is still a blast to drive but its just its not as fun as the M5, however, I you still have a high level of confidence taking tight turns on the X5M without really scaring the wife. Living in the DMV area I would expect to see more X5M's/X6M's on the road but within the past 2 years only have seen 3 around the area so it does make you feel somewhat special having a super SUV. But then again you ask yourself, do we really need that much power on a SUV? I guess I do. Theres nothing better than putting a big smile on your face knowing that you could blow past 90% of cars off the line with a half a ton SUV.
Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0