02-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #111
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningthingz View Post
In all honesty, I'n not that impressed with the GruppeM. I noticed two distinct sounds; the first is when you have the windows down, you can really hear the turbos spooling up when accelerating hard which sounds great and is not too much. But I don't roll with the windows down all that much, so not that beneficial for me.

The second, with the windows up while accelerating hard you really hear the air getting sucked into the GruppeM. The sound is not sexy at all and actually sounds a bit scratchy, like the air is hitting something that is obstructing it which makes a faint shaking/whistling sound. Its also very loud in the cabin and a bit annoying. I found myself more focused on the bad sound coming from the front vs the amazing sound from the rear (Akrapovic). From the outside, it sounds too modded for me. You can really tell there is something going on under the hood which doesn't fit with my subtle agressive look.

In regards to the power, I didn't notice any kind of increase.

All in all, I would not recommend the GruppeM. It looks beautiful, but the annoying sound outweighs the looks. I think too much effort was put into the performance & design aspect and not enough focus on the sound. For an intake that costs $3.5K, I expected more.
Exactly what I noticed/mentioned too when I drove a local tuners car.
The "problem" with the F10 M5 is the intake it very close to the turbos so you do
hear a lot of the intake/air noise and it certainly does make it a noisy car.
To some degree it does make it sounds like one of the JDM cars.
Visually it's still a beautiful piece but the sound portion did turn me away from it .
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0