///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaz View Post
I notice a lot of guys here with Piano Black trim as their choice. Having had piano black trim for about 2 1/2 years just some FYI, It really attracts dust which is not a big deal but is also very prone to scratches and shows any little contact or smudge, so be warned. I would not do it again especially at $1800 as it was free option in my M.
+1, I have the piano black on my RS4 and can confirm exactly the same as far as the dust and swirl mark issue. I may have been tempted to add it if it were a no cost option and be even more careful with it this time around, but for added expense I'll likely pass. Prefer to spend the funds on the Carbon Fiber interior offered through either the BMW Performance Line, or there are several good aftermarket solutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewEW View Post
It attracts dust because the Piano black finish is probably a good electircal insulator and as such can accumulate static charges that attact particles of dust. The surface may even become highly charged when it comes in contact with another material as in the case of trying to wipe it clean with a cloth. The solution for such surfaces is to spray the surface with anti-static agents. There are some furniture sprays that have anti-static agents. One I can think off is marketed by Johnson Wax.
Thx, I will look into it.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0