09-22-2012, 03:40 AM   #83
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarvish View Post
I plan to refuse delivery of my ED M5 that is currently on the boat on the way over here. I'm not willing to put up with even the possibility that my engine may have already been damaged in the 600 miles I put on it in Europe. Anyone else feeling the same way?
Once you took delivery in Europe you took delivery, you can't "refuse" delivery in the US. The car is yours, it is under warranty and BMW is holding up their side of the contract. If they choose to offer you a buy back that is one thing but you really have little to argue- that is part of the ED contract terms and your delivery is your in-service date not your redelivery date. This all sucks but it will all work out and you will be enjoying your beast!

If your oil light did not come on there will be no damage. This is an all or nothing event. Either the pump separates from the shaft (supplier error) or it runs fine. That is why BMW is asking people to not drive- if it hasn't happened there will be no issues other than swapping the pump out as oil has been pumped as normal.

As part of QC when there is a catastrophic failure BMW tears the engine down and examines each part that would have caused the failure to be sure that this is a one off event and not a widespread issue. If they feel this problem is not a one off and a supplier error they look at the batch of parts and move on from there- this is what happened in this case.

More than likely they do not know the exact number of cars this has happened to as the statement was issued by BMWNA and they do not have access to world wide numbers, just their own.

I hope that all this gets sorted but I can say that my 08 M3 was part of a supplier caused recall involving the engine and it has over 60K very hard miles on it.

By looking at the VIN list- it also appears that BMWNA's own fleet- which were used at Leguna Seca for the launch and were abused but none of those cars had any failures (I was there and turned the final lap) or any indication of failure.

I am not sure who the supplier is but I am sure they are in a world of trouble and the cost of all these fixes, buy backs etc. will be placed on them.

Last edited by mapezzul; 09-22-2012 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 0