View Single Post
      11-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #13
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

DIY Oil Change

Me too! On my previous M5s I've used a vacuum pump through the dipstick tube. On each car the pickup tube went to the low point of the oil pan and removed all but the last couple of drops of oil. With the oil filter mounted on the inner fender an oil change was a 15 minute (and clean) job. I'm waiting for someone to find a way to do the same on the F10.

I've spoken to a couple of BMW techs and they say draining the oil from the drain plug isn't a problem (especially if you have a lift) but removing the oil filter is kind of messy because it was relocated to under the engine, reached from below. The E60 M5 had a drain plug on the filter cover, the F10 covers don't (or didn't-see below). One tech said after draining the oil pan he slightly loosens the oil filter and lets the oil drip off the housing for 10 or 15 minutes and then carefully unscrews the filter cover. He said it will still drip oil on the structural reinforcement panel (the metal panel under the engine) but not as much as trying to unscrew and remove the filter when you've drained the oil pan.

There may be an improvement for this last (oil filter removal) problem. The part number for the oil filter cover has been changed and the old part number supersedes to the new part number, which means they should be interchangeable. I've ordered a new one, I hope it has a drain plug! I'll be picking it up Monday.
Appreciate 0