View Single Post
      06-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #22
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Paint coatings do offer tremendous benefits compared to traditional waxes and sealants, however it is true that there is an incredible amount of false information being passed around about these newer technologies.

Perhaps the most common misunderstanding is that these coatings will prevent scratches and/or chips from occurring. This is unfortunately not the case. Paint coatings will cure harder (sometimes only slightly) than your bare paint, so they can provide some resistance to light marring and swirls, however every vehicle (coated or not) will develop swirls and defects over time regardless of how careful you are when maintaining it. Proper maintenance will drastically reduce the severity and rate at which you accumulate defects, so it is still a very important part of the equation, but in genera every vehicle can benefit from a polishing process every 1-3 years depending on how it is maintained and driven. When a vehicle is polished, the coating will be degraded or removed, and therefore a new layer will need to be applied. For this reason, claims of "lifetime warranties" or "permanent durability" should not be a deciding factor for any of these products because if you ever want your vehicle polished again, the coating will be removed at that time.

I explain some more about paint coatings in my article below.

The Benefits of a Paint Coating by Zach McGovern

I personally use coatings on my own vehicles, and polish them every 2-3 years to enhance gloss and then add a new layer of protection. Overall, it is considerably easier to maintain a vehicle throughout those 2-3 years than a vehicle with traditional waxes or sealants, and my cars look great. Paint coatings are without a doubt the best form of temporary environmental protection for your vehicle, but they certainly are not miracle products that require no maintenance.

Please let me know if you've got any other questions! I am always happy to help.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0