04-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #83
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X P100D

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I contacted BMW North Scottsdale about my 2013 M5 (Non Competition Pack model obviously), and this was the response from my service adviser:

Quote:
This is the response I received from my shop foreman.

Brake noise is not uncommon in these brakes but BMW will not let us replace unless they are worn below a specific thickness.

Sorry for the delay Brian:
The SIB referred to is for the later production vehicles already equipped with these “Competition” style pads. This began sometime in mid 2014 production. The pads in the customer’s vehicle are the standard “High-Performance” units. Yes…they do get noisy. In rare cases we have installed the later pads in earlier vehicles. The result is that most brake noise is diminished but some will still exist (might be less harsh at times). BMW warranty does not cover the retrofit. The pads can be installed at the customer’s expense. Part # 34 11 2 284 869.
The warranty rate of 12 Frus will apply.
I then asked:
So if my brake pads do wear down to replacement level, I can have the revised pads installed at no extra charge?
The brake pads/revised modification is for the front brakes only?
If I wanted to pay to have it done, what would the total cost be (broken out by parts & labor)?

Quote:
Interesting question: The replacement pads would be dictated by whatever EPC dictates for that VIN.
I believe there might be rears that match these….but I would need to do more research. In any regard we have never had the need to install them as we have never really duplicated any noises from the rear.
Labor….12 Frus….plus parts for the fronts. Have Parts give you a quote please.

Those front brake pads in questions run $593 and labor would be $300
Interesting price on the pads as GetBmwParts list the MSRP at $468.75

Does this all sounds right to you Charlie?

Last edited by ImpetuousRacer; 04-23-2015 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0