11-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #124
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Just FYI... when the HPFP fails on any x35i bmw model... the engine just dies or will not start. The engine does not blow up. It simply will not run/idle/drive. Most owners just get the LONG cold cranks in the morning. I've never heard of someone needing a new engine bc of a bad HPFP. Or poor power or no power at WOT.

I am not calling you a liar... I'm just saying that for 99.8% of the x35i owners... a bad HPFP is not that big of an ordeal.
I just noticed I wrote fuel pump instead of oil pump...I was saying HPFPs are a serious problem because the pump itself fails repeatedly so BMW replaces it repeatedly. In the case of the M5, the oil pump has only actually failed once or twice so there's no need to extend the warranty. It's fairly safe to assume that once this one bad batch has been replaced, no one else will have oil pump issues.

Of course you are right that the HPFP failing doesn't lead to a blown motor, I had the fuel pump in my 328i die and it was replaced for free and then I happily drove the car for another year before I sold it. The thing I said about blown motors was in reference to the guy whose F10 M5's oil pump died and (if I'm remembering right) took his engine with it which was what caused this particular recall.
Appreciate 0