View Single Post
      01-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #28
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Are you ok sir? You seem to be quite hostile with your internet keyboard rebuttals. Do you know me or my experience with cars? I respect your thoughts and opinions but you cant tell me how I feel about my tangible experience no more than you can tell any other member.

Like I said before the springs worked for many here. We all know where your opinion lies.
Oh my Vic, what kind of debate have you gotten yourself into?

I find the entire point that this guy is trying to make to be so utterly pointless as he is referencing the F10 M5 as some sort of "super performance" machine (forgive me if I am misquoting him...same contextual meaning). As you pointed out, we are talking about a sedan that weighs 4k+ lbs. He also is directly stating that because it's an "M" that somehow BMW has allocated no thought to the development of a suspension on the F10 M5 that is geared at all towards comfort. Referencing the umpteen discussions we have had (and I believe boots and grntrbobeast have been participants in many of those with us as well) BMW has definitely made a steer towards a more "executive" driver, for lack of a better term. One who enjoys luxury and comfort, at the expense of weight, while still getting the old "mash and go" effect. In marketing, we call this being "in the center of the barbell"-not good. You end up sacrificing on both ends. It appears he is trying very hard to make a case for a track car, which I don't remember the OP mentioning, and which equally is silly with the F10 M5.

He apparently has no insight into your experience with cars, nor with mine, and I am sure a funny rebuttal will come.

The reality is that he is correct about better suitability for track with coilovers, but for most street applications the H&R are better suited. I have run both setups and experimented with different springs, including the Swift that he mentions. I have done so on my E60, F10 M5, F12 M6, 991 to name a few. Never has my performance decreased with H&R. In fact, I saw measurable increases in handling and most definitely a higher tolerance for typical road conditions (yes, we also have pretty decent roads here in GA and not often subject to detrimental weather conditions) which is especially beneficial in such a HEAVY car. The lower center of gravity no doubt plays a role as does the progressive spring rate. For comparison one evening I took out the F10 M5 on springs, the F12 M6 on springs and the new F13 M6 on OEM. BOTH the F10 M5 and the F12 out-performed the F13 on OEM with the F12 (even being a less rigid convertible) nudging out the M5. I believe this was purely a center of gravity issue and also a bit attributed to the naturally better stance/wheelbase of the F12. The improvement on my 991 is noticeable as well. No real need for PDCC yet the ride quality is great.

You honestly could not get me to ever use coilovers on a street car again. I don't personally know how much money that H&R puts into R&D but I do know that they have been at this a long time and that my experience, as well as the experiences of many others, PARTICULARLY F10 M5 owners have been great. Per many discussions, H&R finally got it REALLY right with the F10 sport springs.

F10 M5 as a track car.....yyeeeshhhh!

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic

Last edited by ColdList; 01-09-2014 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0