View Single Post
      10-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
It's got some better materials on the inside in places, adjustable bolsters on the front seats (unlike the US M5... ) and I believe some other standard equipment -- but mostly you're paying for the "style tax". The same thing happens on the Mercedes side. The CLS Class is essentially an E Class from a feature and even manufacturing standpoint, and it costs Mercedes roughly the same to build either one, but the CLS costs more because the market will pay more for a flashy coupe than a relatively more "pedestrian" sedan.

I personally would prefer the M5 even if the prices were the same because I think that while the M6 has some sporty, aggressive, and cool styling in certain areas, it doesn't have the integrated styling "flow" that works as a whole the M5 does. I also think the interior of the M5 is far more welcoming, whereas the M6 is clearly designed to a driver-only car. I sat in an M6 on the passenger side, and that beam cutting down from the dash to the console really makes the passenger feel cut off and even sort of trapped -- and that OCEAN of carbon fiber trim... Not to mention that the rear seats of an M5 are actually usable, whereas the M6 has less rear seat room than even the 3 Series Coupe!
Ha, you beat me to it! I was gonna say that you are really paying that extra $16K for the adjustable side bolsters! I agree I'm still mad about this too!

Also, here's what you get when you buy the M6 that the M5 can't get:

- Carbon Fiber Roof
- Shorter Wheel Base
- About 150lbs lighter
- Carbon Fiber Trim Option
- White Ash Grain Wood Trim Option
- Adjustable Side Bolsters
- LED Headlights
- More sporty Steering Wheel
- San Marino Blue Exterior Color

If you buy an M6 here's what you can't get from the M5:

- Rear Seat Heaters
- Power Close Trunk
- Aluminum Trace Trim Option
- Monte Carlo Blue Exterior Color
- Moonroof

That's about it I think. So you can see the difference where that extra $16K comes in.

Me personally, I don't like the stand alone design of the iDrive screen in the 6 series, but some weird reason I think it looks good in the F30 3 Series. For the M6 I also don't like what they've done with the side grills. That angle that comes down after the side grill on the fender really bothers me also. Makes it looks like a Mustang to me for some reason.

Last edited by RPiM5; 10-24-2012 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0