12-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #50
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post

Don't get me wrong, I like ya man and you say some intelligent things but you are so caught up in the 335 tuned being absolutely a few steps above anything else when driving. Its fine to feel that way but based on your posts, you typically are more objective about other things.

A 335 with 600 whp still will not be the experience of driving an m5, especially the e60 M5. I would not say it was the wrong engine for the car at all. Rather you had to have the right driver and the person had to have the right need for the car. I am sure you have watched youtube videos but the thing powers over ferrari's, porsche and lambo's. Its hardly unimpressive.

Its an M car of the past so naturally it is lacking down low and if that is something people hated than they bought the wrong car.

I go back to the overall experience. Your tuned 335 is faster than any production bmw-I got it. However 90 percent of folks do not track and even less drag race, so spirited city/country driving really does not require the excess power in return for no other divine qualities v. the m3/m5 offer good power with a ton of other little things that make driving at the speed limit just as much of an experience as pushing the car to the limit (almost!).

Honestly you cannot tell me driving around in a 335 in normal daily driving which is 90 percent of most peoples drive time, offers any type of special experience or feeling?

If you want pure speed than by a tuned 335.

If you want an engineering marvel and a absolutely one of a kind experience on a daily basis you would buy the e60 m5 when it was on sale.

The new m5 surely is a great car, again 90 percent of buyers will not give a rats ass about the sound or anything. Many buy it for the badge, others just for a large saloon with a ton of power. It is the smaller enthusiast segment that will really miss the more traditional m-characteristics.

M has never been about straight up power, never. The e46 is wayyyy slower than a stock 335 yet if you have driven one, its still a much more satisifyin experience if you are not drag racing. The m's are not satisfying in a drag race, I will give you that. You sound like your all about drag racing.
Very well said. The e60 m5 was a very special car indeed. To really enjoy it you had to rip it, which was fine by me. I rented one of these for a weekend because my friend was getting deployed and it was his dream car. This engine was amazing and loved to be in the top of the rev range. Many people complained about smg but I actually was enthralled with its neck snapping shifts in s6, I didn't experience the clunking, but that's because I never wasted a moment of that cars sound shifting down low. I realize how impractical that sounds in a seemingly practical car, but that is the beauty of the e60m5.
Appreciate 0