Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Below Speed Limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Wow, good points from OP and B-1.

I agree with B-1, I think 601M's are equal in appearance appeal to 343M, I just personally like the 343M's a bit better since they were the launch wheel for the F10 M5.

I don't know if anyone here has ever picked up a 343M with a tire on it, but jeezus is it heavy. The 343M's may be forged but they aren't exactly light either. The weight of the 601M's makes it a little worse, it's true, but as other have pointed out you are not going to notice a 23lbs weight difference on the street, and maybe if you were Randy Pobst or Chris Harris, you'd notice the difference on the track.

The last thing I will say, again which others have pointed out already, is the longevity and durability of a cast wheel, especially on M cars. I don't know the long history of every single wheel ever specifically designed for an M car, but I'd guess that the majority of them were cast wheels. I have only known a handful of people who actually cracked their stock OEM Cast M wheel, and in 99% of those cases, they hit an extremely bad pothole extremely hard. So just avoid potholes and you'll be fine with the 601M's.
You won't notice the weight difference, but that's besides the point. The same can be told for the 15hp or the extended torque in the rpm band, but we still pay for it don't we It's all about paying more for a $7,300 package and getting something inferior. Usually when companies come up with these expensive packages, they are considered "upgrades". These wheels are not upgrades.

Let me turn the question around and ask this, if both of these wheels were offered 2 years ago with the first M5, one being $1200 wheel and other being $800 wheel, and all the information in this thread was known back then (one is forged, one is cast, one is 5.5 lbs heavier, etc), do you think all these people who now have the 601Ms would still go with these wheels? I highly doubt. I'd say 90% wouldn't, nobody in their right mind would, unless you are seriously into the style of it. The reason why people go for these wheels now are two fold : a) They don't know all of this and they assume because it's the competition wheels, they are better or b) They get it because they want everyone else to know they have the competition package, the latest and greatest.

Competition in its name implies faster/better/stronger, and these wheels are complete opposite of that.

The fact that they won't be as durable is secondary. You are right, BMW's cast wheels are not terrible, but then I don't think they made 20" cast wheels until now. For all intents and purposes, these wheels have been in use for the past 6 months, not 3-4 years. We don't know how durable they will be.

Also remember that it's not just cracks, but the balancing problems that I worry the most. Cast wheels are a lot easier to get out of balance than forge wheels because they are softer and not as rigid.
I went with the 601s because I preferred the look.
I went with the CP because of the better steering feel and exhaust note.
I made the decision with my eyes wide open, and it does irritate the hell out of me knowing that the 601s aren't forged. BMW should indeed charge less to those who opt for the 601s.
I called BMW to complain and BBS to inquire. BMW confirmed 343Ms are forged and 601Ms are cast.
BBS confirmed that they manufacture the 343Ms via e-mail I believe (as they had to research it).

I want the best so it was very hard for me to forgo both 343Ms and CCBs.
But in the end we are talking about a large, heavy luxury sedan and not a race car so I went with what I liked the best and made most economic sense (standard brakes).

Early on I hated the 343M wheels but now appreciate the rawness of them. They seem to more consistently "match the M5s design DNA" (to steal these words from a fellow forum member whom so eloquently described the 343Ms in an older post).

Here's the real Question:
Drive CP M5 with 343Ms and CCBs for half a day...
And drive CP M5 with 601s and standard brakes for other half of day.
Under NORMAL yet aggressive driving is there a discernible and valuable difference in overall handling between the two cars?

Time will tell the durability of the 601Ms. As I've said in another post, I had 20" cast Style 32 wheels on my '06 750i that I drove daily for 3 years (hit many, many nasty potholes) without out any bending/balancing issues.
Appreciate 0