Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Couldn't find any BBS info in those posts... They linked to a Tirerack page on BBS wheels, but no OEM M5 wheels there...

And if this is what is referred to as cracks, then I believe he is mistaken. Whats in the Pictures are NOT cracks IMHO. It's simply casting surface imperfections.

The wheels pictured here are mine.

The cracks, and that's definitely what they are as you can stick your finger nail in them and a pin in about a 1/2 inch) are NOT cracks caused by use. The cracks are a manufacturing defect, most likely shrinkage on casting.

I specifically asked BMW UK if the 601M wheels were cast or forged before placing my order, this was before much was known about 601Ms. I said that if they were cast then I would order the 343Ms, but if forged then I preferred the look of the 601Ms and they are the most visible aspect of the CP. The answer came back that they were forged. Having removed them to fit my winter wheels it was obvious that they were cats and not forged so I raised a dispute. BMW UK still insisted that they were forged so I asked them to get conformation from Germany. The answer eventually came back from Germany that the wheels are cast. BMW are now supplying me with a set of 343Ms.

The figures quoted by the OP are correct, the 343M wheels are about 22lb lighter than the 601Ms and should be considerably stronger. I find it extraordinary that the CP wheels are inferior to the 343M wheels in every way and that you can choose at the time of order either at the same cost when the cost of the wheels themselves is significantly different.

The 22lb difference in weight is more significant than you might imagine, it's not like having a 22lb weight in the car, this is rotating unsprung mass. 22lb will make a difference to ride quality and acceleration, probably at least as much as having an adult passenger in the car.

When ordering the car, do yourself a favour, get the 343M wheels. If you want 601Ms just buy the wheels from the parts department and sell the much more valuable 353Ms!

The 6 series 434Ms are even heavier than the 601Ms and are also cast.
Appreciate 0