View Single Post
      09-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #21
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

I guess I was a minority in hoping for a TT V6. :sigh I'm really looking for lightweighting to become popular in a big way. There's really not a whole lot I can do with 550hp here in the U.S. There is, however, quite a bit I can do with a car that can pull >1G in stock trim.

TTV8 was a logical choice. Four vehicles will share this engine which keeps developmental costs down for BMW and tuners alike. Never know, maybe this will become like AMG's 6.3 and end up in the next M3 as well.

I agree with the sentiment that many have had regarding turbo vs NA though I'd counter that turbo engines can be exotic in that, in extreme forms, they can produce very unique power/torque curves as well as achieve exotic specific power numbers.

My own dream is of a 3.0L tri-turbo V6: two small single scroll turbos (like a TD03), one working off of each bank, and then a single large twin scroll turbo (like a GT35 or GT40). Said engine would make ~300lb/ft. down low (~1500rpms) and be capable of big power up top (~700bhp). In other words, it would be an absolute friggin beast. Plumbing might be a tad complicated though....
Appreciate 0