View Single Post
      05-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeokimster View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Looking at 6mt's alone, which fares better during occasionally city drives?
6MT CS vs. 6MT M3 it's close for me. I'd probably pick the Cayman. DCT M3 is more convenient in traffic and faster though. The Caymans generally lack any kind of electronic equip. too if that matters until you get to '09+. I picked the M3 DCT, but a large part of that is the M3 is so stable and fast on track and the Cayman is less than composed.

If you're looking at earlier Caymans, which would be a good $5-10k less than a M3 DCT, I'd say the M isn't worth the extra cash for a street only car. The Cayman is subjectively prettier IMO, although the M3 still looks great. Plus the induction sound from that flat 6 right behind your head is sweet. The induction noise on the Cayman S is so loud I had people at VIR asking if I had a turbo setup.

You really can't go wrong with either car, you just have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each (and each has some). The M3 shows it's heft in really tight corners, whereas the Cayman excels (until 9/10 or so, which you wouldn't do on the street anyway). The Cayman gets way better gas mileage. The M3 is more useful for hauling people and luggage and is faster in a straight line and on a race track. And the Porsche factory short shift kit in the Cayman S feels awesome, best shifter I've driven on a car under $100k.

I know that probably isn't much help since each has advantages and disadvantages but you should really find a Cayman to test drive or you won't know which will suit your purposes best.
Appreciate 0