View Single Post
      04-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5
I appreciate all the effort you've put into this project! Hope the service guys can deliver for us. This may work for me, as that was a wasted option for my use.
No problem. I have been doing a lot of this crap recently.. cup holders, night vision grilles, aluminum shift paddles.. haha.

Are you planning on removing the NV in favor of installing LCI front grilles if the NV LCI front grilles is not possible?

If the backplate can be modified, then it's a rather straight forward for you to replicate. Just need to order the night vision front grilles, the new design back plate, and that's all the parts you need.

I was going to attempt modifying the plate myself, but I'm sure my local Indy shop mechanic will do a better job than I could.. and figure out the best way to modify it. So I'll leave it to them.

I was and still am pretty satisfied with removing the night vision unit and installing the non night vision front grilles. Mainly because I very rarely use NV in SoFL, disconnect of NV was easy and it produces zero errors of any kind, and the non NV front grilles allow better mounting of my Laser Interceptor heads.

I decided to continue my best efforts on finding a way to successfully complete this because I did pay for the NV option and the folks at bimmerfest found out a new code to make NV rather useful (more so than it currently is). You can code the NV on our M5's to an "always active" mode (daytime and nighttime). You can still press the NV button and see the FLIR screen, but regardless if that screen is on or not, it's still always active. This is nice because the NV camera constantly scans it's field of view (day and night) for pedestrians - and when one is spotted it will display a symbol on the dash and I believe on the HUD as well. Which is cool and makes the NV much more useful. This is what really prompted me to continue pressing at this. The new code gave me a reason to actually use night vision.

Anyways, I'll let you know what happens. I'll post an update over the weekend or early next week. Hopefully everything works out.