06-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Of course this is also why you will wear out your car quickly by tracking it. Same thing happens in the engine. All of the moving components are affected similarly and the energy is mostly dissipated as heat. This is also why you shouldn't really race a stock car. It's not built or designed to handle the kinds of prolonged heat that the constant changing from high to low speed on a track will produce.

I know people do it but I also think they do it with a second car, not their regular car. Right?
Are you saying that the G-forces are affecting the engine in a bad way, or that the use of the engines power is something the engine is not designed to withstand?

Off course a engine that is driven leisurely (but not so leisurely that it gets carbon deposits etc) will normally last longer than a engine that is run at full throttle. But I don't think that BMW ///M hasn't taken into consideration that their engines will be used extensively at high speeds on the Autobahn or on track days. In fact BMW even arranges track days... And has the 'Ring Taxi M5 which is driven hard around the Nürburgring.
Appreciate 0