10-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #77
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG3356MT View Post
I drive a stick but, I can not deny that the manual transmissions days are numbered. This will probably be the last M5 offered in stick. I don't know why this topic always turns into a big debate. If you like autos or vice versa you will not be turned the other way. Since were on the topic, DCT M5 for me. Stick shift feels out of date to me ever since I drove a DCT M3.
I am actually not quite sure about that. The fact that BMW chooses to release the new M5 with a manual in the US is a key point that they acknowledge that a lot of enthusiasts only consider this sort of car with a manual.
I also found interesting that VW chose to release its new Golf R only in Manual in the US, while the previous R32 was DSG only...

DCT, PDK, DSG etc are fantastic and there is no doubt in my mind that they outperform manuals (and there drivers) in term of performance but I still think a lot of drivers (I am one of them) want to be more mechanically involved with their cars.