View Single Post
      03-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Hey guys, this DIY was great. Took me 20 minutes. The secret was having a universal joint to reach that tricky #7 screw. I like to use some electrical tape to make the joint more rigid so it doesn't flop around and to keep the torx bit from dropping into the pit of despair. Thankfully BMW made the screw non-removable to avoid more dropsies.

I was curious to see what I would find beneath the stock air filter. My car was built in January of 13. Snorkel it is!! Note the carbon filter which just needs a slight pry with a flat head.

I will add to be careful when re-assembling not to let the screws puncture the air filter since the airbox lid is under some pressure from the intake hose. It takes a few moments to get the lid seated flushly too. Check the gaps on each screw to make sure they are identical.. Don't want to suck in hot engine air!!

RESULTS: Better revs, def some mid range punch(Still in break in). There is no question that removing an obstruction like that will free some HP and TQ. It's probably like adding an average intake system to a stock car.

Thanks,

Greg