View Single Post
      03-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #79
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Wow! I was gone all weekend, this post blew up.

I just got done reading the whole thing.

So in summation, here's what appears to be the positions taken:

1. Performing Imports Tune: Know one knows if the tune by itself actually makes the 80hp claimed.

2. ColdList is unwilling to provide dyno numbers, vbox data, YouTube video races, or 1/4 miles drag time slips due to his own personal ideological reasons (which is his right, it is his car after all, and in fact he is not a representative of the company, just a personal friend of the owner).

3. It's been alluded to but not fact that a combination of all three (downpipes, tune, exhaust from Performing Imports) is responsible for an approximate increase in horsepower of 80hp to the crank and that the tune by itself does not actually produce the claimed 80hp increase as was advertised.

4. Other people who are willing to get the Performing Imports Tune have stated that they will dyno the car before and after the tune is installed.

5. Ron and his company Performing Imports are still unwilling to provide data as to the exact performance gains of any of their products by evidence provided through dynograph charts, vbox data results, or 1/4 mile drag strip time slips.

6. The discussion between the Manhart Tune and the Performing Imports tune is interesting. There still appears to be no concrete evidence that both tunes from both companies are the exact same product.

7. Ron is still willing to come out to Arizona and provide customers with his tune.

8. Dynograph results are only good for Naturally Aspirated Engines and are completely irrelevant for turbo car engines, especially the F10 M5's.

9. The fact that I actually talked with several tuning companies last week about the BMW Development Software that they actually have in their possession seems to be an irrelevant point and merits no validity despite their long standing reputations.

10. An F10 M5 with the Performing Imports Tune, Downpipes, and Exhaust is unable to provide any vbox data due to wheelspin. This includes completely losing traction in a 60-130mph run.

New Info:

I spoke with Roman from ESS face to face this past weekend while at the Targa Trophy event in San Diego. He has stated that ESS will have a tune hopefully this summer and will definitely make gains of over 30hp to the crank. They are developing their own software in house and are not using the BMW Development Software. They will also back up their tune with dynograph charts.

Personal Opinion:

I don't have a doubt in my mind that Ron's personal M5 and ColdList's M5 are both very fast M5's, but how much faster nobody knows. I am hoping that someone from SoCal does get the Performing Imports Tune and I am able to race them without a tune on my car so as to compare the differences in power. I would hope that I get beaten very badly as an 80hp increase from a tune should have substantial results in a side by side race. I look forward to the day.

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-26-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0