View Single Post
      04-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #17
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

@DrKevM5

The best tools to use is a tool similar to a dremel.

Problem 1: The NV camera will not sit flush onto the backplate due to the backplate design.
Solution 1: Completely flattened down the three "tabs" (they're not really tabs but stick out like so) on the back plate so that the metal cylinders on the camera would sit into the holes on the plate

Problem 2: The screw holes on the camera do not line up with the screw holes on the backplate. Simply drilling new holes into the backplate wouldn't suffice because of how close they are to the edge.
Solution 2: Glued the NV camera into the backplate. Drilling was not as option for me because I didn't want to alter the part or risk water entry (the camera is $4k). A strong glue was used though (I think it was mirror glue or something like that).

Problem 3: The NV camera bottoms out on the front camera hole faceplate.
Solution 3: It seemed that there were two options. Reduce the height of the circular night vision hole's "crown" on the faceplate, or alter the clips on the backplate. I decided to alter the clips on the backplate. Simply reduced the height of them, and that would allow it to secure in. Need to use caution here to not remove too much material or do it in a non uniform manner as the camera would then be crooked.

Problem 4: With the tabs on the backplate cut down.. one was a bit shorter than another, and so there was a but of play if you were to apply pressure.
Solution 4: We firmly pushed the backplate down, held it down, made sure the camera was aligned and unobstructed on the other side, and drilled a small black screw into the side. This made it solid, zero play, and everything looked straight.

Did a "soft install" by placing the grille on the tabs but not pushing it in. Started the car up and checked the NV screen, again to confirm that none of the surrounding plastic was in the camera view. It looked perfect. Set the grille in place and installed my laser jammer.

You will need to uninstall (or rather not transfer over) the high pressure nozzle. It gets in the way. Just tuck the hose behind the front bumper where it's out of view.

I will be coding my NV to always on and I will also be decoding the headlamp washers. One because I don't like to use them on my car and two because the NV spray is connected to the headlamps.

This defiantly took a little bit of work, but I am happy with the results. I just took the car out (it's dark out now) and everything was perfect.
Attached Images