03-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #16
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I agree. I think that for the G30 M5, their targets will be lighter weight with small claimed horsepower increase to say 580hp or 590hp, but will be underrated again. If the F80 M3/F82 M4 tells us anything about the future of the M5, ///M will be looking to keep the luxury aspect of the M5, while at the same time reducing the weight and increasing the performance. BMW claims only a 9hp increase from the E92 to the F82, so I don't think we'll be seeing any large hp increases in the next M5 model either. BMW doesn't want to start horsepower wars, so I think seeing a 600hp or higher M5 is not their direction. So far we haven't seen any major manufacturer put a 600+hp engine in a luxury sedan, although I think the next generation CTS-V might break 600hp from the factory. I think a 10% weight reduction would be very reasonable. Given the F10 M5 weighs 4,400lbs, 10% would be 440lbs, bringing the weight under 4,000lbs which puts it in E39 M5 curb weight range.

Unfortunately I think the chassis's are going to keep getting bigger. Which is the number one thing that worries me about the G30 M5. I don't want to feel like I'm driving a 7-series. Overall, with the G30 M5 we are going to see more tech features, more luxury, and more performance. Who knows, ///M Division might even be the first company in the world to integrate hybrid technology into a bonefide ///M car. The hybrid, battery/gasoline engine technology is just starting to mature and be applicable to high performance. The Porsche 918 Spyder, McLaren P1, and BMW i8 are the forerunners to the future I think. We may seen a next generation M5, with a small battery pack that will complement the gasoline engine performance, but still weight less than 4,000lbs. The real big question is, where is the gasoline engine technology going next? There's already been rumors that the next generation X5M and X6M are going to use a Twin Turbo V8 again. I'll be pretty upset if the G30 M5 uses another Twin Turbo V8, even if it 20% more efficient and makes 10% more power. But I'll be more upset if they take away any more cylinders from the engine of the M5. I'm just not sure what the next generation ///M engines are going to be like, but I'm betting money on hybrid technology coming to ///M platforms in the future.

The F10 M5 may be my last M5. I think I want to go exotic next. That new Lamborghini Huracan looks amazing, or even say a 2010 Gallardo LP-560 would be sweet. I'm pretty sure I want to go back to Naturally Aspirated engines though. Turbo's are fun, but I think the S63tu Twin Turbo V8 may be the last good sounding engine to come from ///M. The S55 in the new F80 M3 is disappointing, and I'm not sure straightpiping that engine would help. Time will tell.
Agree and disagree
Agree it will have to lose weight
Disagree that Hybrid tech is gonna make it next generation but again agree it is in the future , but then they will Have to Come Up With Specific Headphone PUMPING UP THE E60 AND F10 Recorded sounds in our ears - Then bye bye M cars... Hahahahha
Appreciate 0