View Single Post
      12-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #82
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
I totally agree. AMG provides a large, super lux comfy sedan with gobs of horsepower and torque. The e63 AMG does everything a bmw m5 (new one does) and there really is not a lot of difference between the two. I know the m5 comes out ahead in comparisons but 99 percent of the time they will feel largely very similar.

The M's of the past really really stood out and had NOTHING in common with anything else they went up against, except quite similar performance figures. However the WAY it went about it was so different and almost one of a kind, which IMO was a huge edge for bmw. Not saying everyone liked it but they were the only ones offering a high revving F1 engine experience where you had to be active as the above poster said with switching gears etc.

Now that bmw went big torque, big hp and a lot of mass, really aside from styling there is little that sets it apart from the new AMG's which were already getting very close in performance to the M's.

To each his own but anyone had has owned a modern M will understand and they do not win every comparison they ever take part in for 15 years for no reason! Its not like its only a few random people's opinions that these past M cars were amazing-it was EVERYONE that drove one and owned one
I think everyone needs to get off the E60 M5 train. That car (while having an epic engine) was an anomaly. How many times have you read reviewers comparing the F10 to the E39 M5? That's about the best compliment you can give any M5. How many times did reviewers say it is better in every single way than the E60 apart from sound?

IMHO, the best M5 ever made was the E39. While it had a great engine as well, it's not like it sounded like a Ferrari V8 either. And most people that are giving the F10 flak do realize that the E9x M3 was considered the most "numb" and "lazy" M3 ever correct? Yet I don't hear any of the complainers here talking about the car, now that they actually own one. (Btw, I'll be in the market for one myself).

Please keep in mind that the F10 M5 as far as I know as yet to lose a comparison against AMG and is fighting valiantly with Porsche Panameras. That's a pretty darn good accomplishment if you ask me.
Appreciate 0