Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf325 View Post
If you could maybe break it down, that would be helpful. Here is what I have read and understand so far:
  • Lane Departure Warning: Nice to have, may vibrate the wheel well before you would be concerned. Probably the most useful of the features.
  • Active Blind Spot Detection: Hard to see and overly conservative. Would prefer this info be in the dash or HUD. Routinely ignored by drivers?
  • Cameras: Very cool, but wouldn't miss them if they weren't there. Maybe keep you from getting a bit of curb rash when parking. (I would find that useful, btw).
  • Speed Limit Display: Works well, but really isn't necessary.

One other consideration is that I understand parts of the DAP interfere with certain radar detectors, like the V1.
I voted I have it and I would get it again. Having said that, I love all the gingerbread and technology and get most options just for that reason.

Lane Departure warning: Can be annoying - it's not perfect in its implementation and can occasionally give what I consider to be "false" warnings - such as cresting small hills on 2 lane roads and in curves on 2 lane roads. Still kind of neat and if it saves me just once from an accident because I look away or am distracted then, IMO, it will have been worth it.

Blind Spot Detection: Neat but if you know how to properly adjust your outside rear view mirrors you don't have any blind spots anyway.

How to properly adjust outside rear view mirrors

Cameras: I would definitely miss this. IMO, BMW has one of the best implementations of exterior camera systems of any car manufacturer.

Speed Limit Info: I like this a lot more than I thought I would. How often to you look down at your speed and then wonder what the speed limit is where you are driving because you didn't notice the last speed limit sign or two? I like having the speed limit info in the HUD.

Mike
Appreciate 0